Balloon Sinuplasty is a highly effective and popular procedure. It is used to provide long-lasting relief to patients who suffer from chronic sinusitis. If you are interested in Balloon Sinuplasty as a treatment option for your condition, here is a general guideline that can help you determine if you are a potential candidate for the procedure.
What are the Symptoms and Causes of Chronic Sinusitis?
Patients who have sinus infections that last longer than eight weeks or occur more than four times a year are said to have chronic sinusitis. The symptoms of chronic sinusitis may include any or any combination of the following:
- A runny nose
- Discolored mucus discharge
- Sinus pain, pressure, and tenderness
- Breathing problems, sleeping problems, fatigue
When the severity or frequency of symptoms causes patients to alter their day-to-day life, an appointment with an ENT specialist should be made. The first step to finding a chronic sinusitis solution is determining what is causing the condition. The most common causes include the following:
- A nasal obstruction (partial or complete)
- Mucus builds up in the sinuses
- Chronic sinus inflammation
- Chronic or recurrent infections that do not respond to treatment
- Persistent allergies
Once the cause of symptoms is determined, a formal diagnosis can be made and an appropriate treatment plan (that may include balloon sinuplasty) can be created.
How is Chronic Sinusitis Diagnosed?
The three effective diagnostic aids that ENT physicians use to accurately diagnose chronic sinusitis include the following:
- A flexible tube with a fiber optic light is gently passed through the sinuses so the specialist can view them.
- Medical imaging studies. X-rays, MRIs, and CT scans reveal inflammation and obstructions that may be causing chronic sinusitis.
- When symptoms do not respond to treatment options, nasal and sinus cultures can be used to determine if symptoms are being caused by a bacterial or fungal infection.
Allergy tests may also be used if a specialist suspects chronic sinusitis is being caused by persistent allergies.
How Do I Know if Balloon Sinuplasty Can Help Me?
The key to knowing if Balloon Sinuplasty is the right procedure for you is choosing the right ENT specialist. Dr. Neil Goldhaber is a Board Certified ENT specialist and is an expert in Balloon Sinuplasty. He has offices throughout Florida including Fort Myers, Wellington, Boynton Beach and and Ocala. If the symptoms of chronic sinusitis are dictating the way you live your life and you want a solution, Dr. Goldhaber will provide you with one. Please contact one of our four Florida offices today to make an appointment.