The key to not letting a sinus infection ruin weeks of your life is identifying and treating symptoms of a sinus infection as soon as they present. Most sinus infections only last 2-4-weeks and are classified as acute. The symptoms of a sinus infection may include the following:
- The sinus passages become swollen and inflamed during a sinus infection. They also become restricted and congested. Patients may have a difficult time breathing, smelling, and tasting because of sinus congestion. In most cases, sinus congestion is worse at night and when lying down.
- Pressure and pain. A sinus infection causes mucus buildup in the sinus passages. This buildup puts pressure on the sinuses and causes pain. These symptoms can be felt above and between the eyes and on both sides of the nose.
- Nasal discharge. The sinuses drain into the nasal passages. Infected sinuses usually produce a cloudy green/yellow discharge that passes through the nose. Patients with a sinus infection may feel the constant need to blow their nose because of this.
- Throat aches. The sinus passages also discharge into the back of the throat. When excess mucus passes through this area, the throat can become irritated and inflamed. Pain typically presents. A cough may also develop.
- Constant sinus congestion and pressure can cause a special type of headache known as a sinus headache. The frequency and severity of sinus headaches usually coincide with the degree of sinus blockage.
Treating the Symptoms of a Sinus Infection
These symptoms of a sinus infection may first be treated using over-the-counter medications and home remedies. The most common of which include the following:
- Saline nasal sprays
- Humidifier machines
- Warm compresses
The goal of this type of treatment approach is used to improve symptoms while the body takes care of the infection. If symptoms do not improve or increase in severity, an appointment with an ENT specialist should be made.
Sinus Infection Solutions in Florida
Dr. Neil Goldhaber is an expert in treating acute and chronic sinusitis. If you are experiencing symptoms of either one of these conditions, please contact our offices to make an appointment. Once Dr. Goldhaber evaluates and accurately diagnoses your condition, a customized treatment plan will be prescribed to eliminate your symptoms. With four convenient Florida locations, finding your sinus solution has never been so easy!