Chronic Sinusitis is characterized by the inflammation and swelling of the interconnected system of hollow cavities known as the sinuses. Sinusitis may be caused by a viral, bacterial, or fungal infection. When sinusitis lasts for twelve weeks or reoccurs four or more times over the course of one year, chronic sinusitis is said to be present. Patients with chronic sinusitis are advised to make an appointment with an ENT specialist, as their training, knowledge, skills, and experience enable them to prescribe a variety of non-surgical and minimally invasive treatment options that help alleviate symptoms and resolve the infection that is causing them.
Treatment Options for Chronic Sinusitis
Nonsurgical treatment options for chronic sinusitis include the following:
- Saline sprays. When saline is gently sprayed into the nose, sinus drainage is reduced and nasal irritants are washed away.
- Powerful medications that reduce inflammation, swelling, and pain. Corticosteroids may be prescribed in nasal spray or oral forms.
- Oral medications used to kill bacteria that are causing symptoms.
- Medications used to relieve congestion in the nasal cavities.
- Warm compresses. An easy way to relieve sinus congestion and pain.
If symptoms can not be resolved using nonsurgical treatment options, a minimally invasive procedure known as a Balloon Sinuplasty may be recommended.
Balloon Sinuplasty for Chronic Sinusitis
A Balloon Sinuplasty is a very popular procedure because it safely and effectively treats chronic sinusitis without removing bones or tissues in the sinuses. During the procedure, the following steps are performed:
- Local anesthesia is administered
- A soft, flexible guide wire is inserted through the nose and gently moved into the sinus cavity
- A balloon is advanced over the guide wire
- The balloon is inflated
- Mucus and pus are flushed using a fluid spray
Patients who undergo the procedure truly experience great results. Their symptoms are improved or eliminated and their quality of life improves. Results may last as long as two years.
Seeking Treatment for Chronic Sinusitis
Patients with chronic sinusitis can find the relief they have been searching for when they choose Goldhaber Sinus. Dr. Neil Goldhaber is a Board Certified ENT specialist and is an expert in Balloon Sinuplasty with 4 offices throughout Florida including Fort Myers, Wellington, Boynton Beach and and Ocala. If the symptoms of chronic sinusitis are dictating the way you live your life and you want a solution, Dr. Goldhaber will provide you with one. Please contact one of our four Florida offices today to make an appointment. Please contact our office today to make an appointment!